David,

This is my thoughts also,  using the basic 'checking account' selection
during account wizard creation keeps the parent accounts so no problem.

Thanks both for super swift replies.

*"Now that I think about it, you probably need to keep the top level
accounts
as they determine the attributes that child accounts use to maintain
adherence to the accounting rules."
*

David Carlson-4 wrote