On 6/18/2022 12:05 AM, HSC wrote:
Thank you, Michael D Novack!
That's a great solution until GNC development catches up to the crypto world:
we will keep separate GNC file for each cryptoasset.

The remaining problem is that Bitcoin Lightning goes to 11 decimal places, and
Ethereum I think goes to 16.
Will round up to 1 sat for now, since it's still of insignificant value, but
eventually that will also need some improvement.

There is a (potential) solution for that. Probably not workable for ridiculously high number of decimal points* you described. But let's say you needed something smaller than that range.

It is called "scaling". You have probably seen examples of this if you have looked at the annual report of organizations where the totals are in the tens or hundreds of millions. Instead of being in whole dollars, the report might be in units of a thousand dollars. It also works the other way around.

Thus if you needed to express quantities of the order of $0.00001 (hundredths of a mil) but only had two decimal points available you could scale to the mil instead of the dollar << in other words "1" would stand for one mil, not one dollar >> If your problem is NOW the range of values being too large to fit in the fields, I'll refer you to the reasoning below.

Michael D Novack

* PHYSICAL reality is constrained by relative number of decimal points to a relatively small number, say at most, six or seven. I am talking here about when "adding things". In other words, when talking about real things, 1,000,000 and 1,000,001 are essentially equal. If you were counting two heaps separately, how certain would you be that they were actually unequal (or would an error in counting be more likely). We don't use counting, addition, subtraction, etc. to make a decision like that (though we could use "pairing"). In similar fashion, given two pieces of glass, one on top of the other, could measure how much farther apart in the middle than at the edges in wavelengths of light used to make the observation, or by how much the curvature of the surface departed from some conic section, but not in terms of the thickness of the pieces of glass.

PS --- Not the place to discuss what "money" is, but it isn't, even in the case of "fiat currencies" something that is determined by fiat. That's why governments, etc. cannot control inflation/contraction by fiat. The EXISTENCE of "money", how much exists, depends on its circulation in the economy.