From: Robin Chattopadhyay <robinra...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 7:04 PM
To: john.lay...@laymanandlayman.com
Cc: Gnucash Users <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Sub-Accounting (Was: Problem with missing balance in a
parent account **FINAL POST**)

I strongly -- but respectfully -- disagree.

Gnucash works *brilliantly* for a sub-accounting use case with a single bank
account at a financial institution comprised of multiple sub-accounts.

For example, until my children were old enough/mature enough to have their own
savings accounts at our bank, I held all of their individual savings, plus my
own in a single account at the bank to take advantage of higher interest rates
for higher balances.

Like this:

Savings Account 1234 (Placeholder because I didn't want transactions
accidentally ending up here. Everything needs to be in a sub-account for my own
piece of mind)

--> Main Savings

--> Child A Savings

--> Child B Savings

--> Child C Savings

--> Vacation

--> Capital Improvement

--> etc. (other special purpose accounts)

I can always immediately tell, within Gnucash, what is due each child or what
their available balance is.

When reconciling to the bank statement, I can select the representation of the
bank account (Savings Account 1234), then click Actions -> Reconcile, enter the
ending balance from the statement, click Include sub-accounts, and away I go.
The reconcile window allows me to select any unreconciled transaction from any
of the sub-accounts and reconcile back to the statement balance. Internal
transfers between sub-accounts are not on the bank statement, obviously, but
can also be reconciled in the Reconcile window as they will definitionally net
to 0.00.

I can also allocate interest amongst the various sub-accounts with a single
credit to an Interest Income account and a debit to each sub-account.

The only place where this system breaks down is importing an OFX file as the
transaction importer doesn't understand matching transactions to sub accounts.
For me, this is a small, small price to pay for all the other advantages I
cited above.

I also employ this system for credit cards where certain transactions are
subject to a promotional interest rate, or I want to keep vacation transactions
separate. A single payment to the credit card issuer can be allocated to each
sub-account. Balances can be compared to the promotional balances on the
statement.

Robin

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 9:11 AM John Layman <john.lay...@laymanandlayman.com