On 11/14/2022 4:36 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
Hi, Esteban!

I assume these travel expenses are going to be reimbursed by your
employer. In effect, you're making a loan to your employer, which
creates an account receivable. This is an asset account, not an expense,
so it is kept completely separate from your own expenses.

Yes would be under assets. But we are discussing personal books, not books of a business (accrual basis so can use business features like invoicing). Probably no "accounts receivable".

If new to gnucash, keep in mind that the examples in the tutorial s=were simple, not including all the possibilities.  There can be other sorts of asset accounts besides "current assets" and "fixed assets". Like money you have loaned out.

But this is a special sort of loan, and I'd give it a name making that clear like "pending reimbursements" (the parent) and under it you could have child accounts for the "expense" categories << they are of type asset, not expense, because not YOUR expenses >> IF (as is likely) you receive reimbursement as the total of what you submitted, don't make that parent a placeholder. Then you can credit IT for the total.

Michael F Novack