It is intuitive, but your issue is one of perspective:

From *your* perspective, your bank account is your asset.

You increase it *in your books* by a Debit.

But from the *bank's* perspective, your account with them is their liability, and is increased by a Credit.

That is why when you put money in your account, or they refund or correct in your favor, they Credit your account. Because their liability to YOU is increasing.

But YOU would enter a Debit in your books.

Perfectly intuitive, just opposite sides of the equation.

The left-right/debit-credit is for all of accounting, not just GnuCash.