Thank you to all who have replied.

I attempted to enter a split transaction in the 'dividend' income page, and then it vanished: I found it had transferred to the company stock tab: It appeared to be correct, and the amounts ending up in the correct accounts :)

So I was able to enter ALL the data for that stock, and then I was even able to enter the final sale and scrub the account correctly.

I can not express how WILD, FRUSTRATED and angry I was with myself. But it's now done, and I can always refer to that as a template/transaction to copy.

Is there a function to 'lock' an account so it can no longer be edited accidentally?

Thank you everyone, I really, really appreciate your patience and help.