On 4/7/2023 10:58 AM, Gyle McCollam wrote:
1st , you should run your yearend reports before you "Close" and if you need to rerun at
some future point, you could just delete the "closing" entries and rerun any reports then
reclose after.  As for not closing, when you run reports for the next fiscal year you would use the
start date of that year as the starting date for the new reports.  Either way, you can get what you
need, the choice is yours.

IF you make and save backups (of the data on your computer) you should not have to "undo" closing to later go back.

You presumably should have (good idea) made a back-up of the file right after the YE reports and before the "close". You give that file a name that means you can always correctly identify it --- say BooksYE3023.gnucash.  << my file name for the "books" would probably change each year --- so it would be perhaps Books2023.gnucash and after the close I'd rename it Books2024 >>

The point is, if you ever want to look at the books in their state prior to the 2023 close you don't undo anything. Instead you retrieve the back-up and open a copy of that.

Michael D Novack