That's certainly possible, and I agree it's much better than undoing
things. But there's a very large caveat:

When you open GnuCash, it opens the file you were working on most
recently. So you need to be very sure that you have opened the file you
intended to, after you have finished whatever you wanted to do with the
pre-closing file.

My advice: when you're working on the pre-closing file, don't close
GnuCash. Instead, close that file, open your current file, and _then_
close GnuCash.

Ah ...... probably because I maintain several sets of books under gnucash I am so used to always SELECTING what set of books I want gnucash to open that I forget many/most gnucash users do not realize that the behavior "open last set of books that was open" is optional. In other words, it is a default runtime parameter that can be overridden by passing a different parameter, a parameter telling gnucash NOT to begin by opening a file but just to open and wait for you to specify the file you want opened.

These days I am keeping few enough sets of books all that I usually work with fit on the "last open" selection list, but you can specify any by name (which is how you would get one no longer on that short list -- as would be the case were you opening the back-up* of a prior year, etc.

Michael D Novack

* A retired ex-pro, I'm rather fussy, and would treat that sort of backup "read only". If there were ANY chance of writing to it/altering it I would first make a copy and open that copy with gnucash. Normally MY copy of a back-up would be on re-writable storage and only the copy given into the custody of another organizational officer burned to DVD, etc.