I was also having this same problem on my M1 Mac when upgrading to Gnucash
5+ (it worked fine in 4.X). After some digging it looks like my environment
meant that gnucash 5+ was using the wrong version of cpan for the perl it
was using (there are 2 installed by default - 5.3 and 5.34, I also had 5.36
installed by HomeBrew) and I saw the logs JSON::Parse was missing but
gnc-fq-update was reporting it up-to-date.

Fixing the environment
(/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/etc/gnucash/environment)
meant that it started working however I was now getting this error:

* NASDAQ:GOOGL Finance::Quote reported failure with error: Error retrieving
quote for GOOGL. Attempt to fetch the URL
https://query2.finance.yahoo.com/v11/finance/quoteSummary/GOOGL?modules=price,summaryDetail,defaultKeyStatistics
resulted in HTTP response 501 (Not Implemented)

When you paste the URL directly into a browser
https://query2.finance.yahoo.com/v11/finance/quoteSummary/GOOGL?modules=price,summaryDetail,defaultKeyStatistics
it works fine.

I had chosen to use the homebrew Perl, I found that Net::SSLeay was not
installed correctly which was causing LWP::Protocol::https to fail, after
fixing (brew install openssl) everything was working again. I'm assuming
that it was silently falling back to http which was causing the 501.

Not sure if this helps anyone