Is this a completely custom report or just a saved configuration? If completely custom, you may want to try the -dev list.

I just did a test and exported an Expense Pie Chart to HTML and opened it in Firefox and it displayed as it should. If your chart/report isn't showing any graphics at all, then I'd say it is an issue with the report itself, not GnuCash. Since you were using it back in the days of version 2.19, I'd hazard a guess that your report code needs to be updated as many changes with respect to reports have been made since then.

And while I could get the Expense Pie Chart to print in landscape, I couldn't get it to break properly or scale to the page, but I also didn't try too hard and that may still be possible.