On 7/17/23 10:02 AM, john wrote:

It's not all non-US securities. In AlphaVantage it appears to be only
 LSE stocks; JSE stocks aren't supported and Tel Aviv stocks support
only ILS. The Yahoo JSON module adjusts prices for Zac (South Africa)
and ILA (Israel) as well as GBX, but Yahoo JSON apparently includes a
currency code to make that easy. That seems to be missing from
YahooWeb, perhaps an oversight on Vincent's part. The currency is
available on https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GBP.L <https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GBP.L> prefixed by "Currency In" in
div id="quote-header-info".

The currency is being captured by YahooWeb. For GBP.L (traded in GBp/GBX) has its price converted to GBP and currency reported as such. At the time of this writing, GBP.L was 0.1850 GBp, F::Q v1.57 yahooweb returns 0.00185 GBP.

% gnc-fq-dump -v yahooweb GBP.L

stock           field  value
-----           -----  -----
GBP.L        currency: GBP
GBP.L            date: 07/17/2023
GBP.L        exchange: LSE - LSE Delayed Price
GBP.L         isodate: 2023-07-17
GBP.L            last: 0.00185
GBP.L          method: yahooweb
GBP.L            name: Global Petroleum Limited
GBP.L         success: 1
GBP.L          symbol: GBP.L

> So for AlphaVantage it seems only .L and .IL suffix securities would
> need to be queried, and maybe only .L unless there are known
> instances where .IL-suffixed symbols are priced in GBP.

I will change the AlphaVantage.pm fix I'm working on to only execute the extra API call for securities ending with '.L'.

Rather than spending an extra query maybe AlphaVantage.pm could
accept a special extra suffix indicating that the user wants quotes
to be multiplied by 100, perhaps X, so a request for GBP.L priced in
GBP would be GBP.L.X.

If I understand, this method assumes the user knows that the data from AV for GBP.L is priced in GBp/GBX. Correct?

Alternatively we could create a GBX, ZAX, and ILA pseudo-currencies
in GnuCash and users would create parent accounts in those currencies
for stocks quoted that way. That would take a little finessing on
users' part because using it would depend both on the currency the
stock is quoted in and whether F::Q converts it to the "real"
currency.

F::Q currently sets currency based on suffix. '.L' gets mapped to 'GBP'. I just checked, currently no map in AV for ZAR. By chance, you don't have an example for me? Thanks. Like the previous comment, this also expects users to know what currencies the different securities are reports as coming from the AV module, correct? While I like the idea on a high level, I think that is asking for trouble reports from users having pricing issues.

Thanks again.

Bruce S.