On 7/18/23 10:34 AM, John Ralls wrote:

YahooJSON and now YahooWeb are already doing the GBX->GBP
conversion (not my doing). Easy because both of those sources have
the pricing currency in the data returned. I hope you are not
suggesting that the conversion is removed from both of those
modules?

I'm not. I'm pointing out the disadvantages of handling the pricing
issue on the client side.

Okay. I think it would be reasonable assumption that Finance::Quote
returns pricing in ISO-4217 currencies. But definitely a quagmire when
faced with an issue like this one.

Roger, but slowing AV down to 5 quotes/2 minutes will make it pretty
useless for anyone with even a small number of LSE stocks. Users
already gripe about the 5/sec throttling.

Which is why I posed the original question. Aside from the two of us
having this wonderful exchange of ideas, no one else stepped in to say
"Hey! I get some LSE traded stock data from AlphaVantage, and doubling
the time it takes to get quotes would annoy the heck out of me!". At
this point, the only one to raise an issue is someone that could deal
with it as is for all I care.

To clarify, are you suggesting have AlphaVantage check for the
additional (let's say ".X") suffix? Or any quote source? Much
easier to accomplish on a per module basis, than F::Q in general.
But as stated, that means the user needs to know to use GBP.L.X
(Global Petroleum) for AV to return GBP, but YahooJSON does not
need the extra ".X". Then again, that's what man pages are for...
;)

Yes, I think that's the best alternative to asking AV for the
currency. Another that we haven't discussed would be caching the
results somewhere, but that conflicts with F::Q's stateless design.

Alright. At some point I'll have AlphaVantage look for symbols supplied with an additional '.X' suffix. If it's given, divide the pricing info by 100. If not, leave it be. Of course I'll add info on this to the manpage/POD. I'll also ping AV support again. I was told they would look into adding the currency to the JSON returned from the GLOBAL_QUOTE API which would make my job a zillion times easier.

Thanks again John.

Bruce S.