You better use splits for such cases. There is nothing wrong even when a few splits that goes to the same account: e.g. when you want for some reason (for convenience) keep an items of the same bill separately in your expenses account. Otherwise, when you would try to reconcile with, say, bank account statement, you will fail as bank has no idea how did you split your expense among different items and this expense appears as a single row for a total amount in a statement.

Sergey.