Chris:

On 2023-07-23 05:55, Chris Green wrote:
You should record the cash income from the various collections etc to the
Assets:Current Assets:Cash via the appropriate Income: account as you receive
it (or as you count up the cash in the bags), preferably with the date
on which the collection took place. When you eventually come to make the
deposit into your current bank account, this is simply recorded as a transfer
between two asset accounts - it is no longer income, any more than paying
off your credit card bill from your current account needs to be accounted
for as Expenditure (in this case you are transferring money from an asset
account (your bank) to a liability account (your credit card).

So I need two sets of Income sub-accounts then.  One records the cash
deposits into Assets:Current Assets:Cash and the other ones record
donations made direct to Assets:Current Assets:Bank.…

Why do you need two sets of Income sub-accounts?  If there is an income sub-account for all donations of a certain type, be they cash donations at an event or cheques sent to the church, then use this same income sub-account in transactions involving cash deposits into Assets:Current Assets:Cash and donations made direct to Assets:Current Assets:Bank.

…The most important thing from my point of view is the ability to
present accounts to the diocese where all donations of a particular
type are collected together.… I need a single sub-account where I can see
*all* money of a particular type regardless of how it got there.…
If you want to show the diocese all donations of a particular type, then that single income sub-account for all donations of that type will have entries for "*all* money of a particular type regardless of how it got there".

As Stan Brown said, this is a simple situation, but this thread is having a hard time finding the words which will let the simplicity shine through.

Also, some of your questions seem to be actually about accounting and bookkeeping, rather than about using GnuCash. GnuCash claims to be an efficient way to do double-entry bookkeeping, but it does not claim to protect you from having to understand double-entry bookkeeping. If you have not already, I recommend that you:

 * read the entire GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide
   <https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=5&lang=C&doc=guide>,
 * make a simple, largely empty GnuCash book file as a place to simply
   do experiments, so that you can try things without endangering your
   actual data, and
 * get an introductory book on accounting (maybe on accounting for
   churches and non-profits) and read a few chapters

I hope this helps clarify things for you.
    —Jim DeLaHUnt