Sort of. There are a bunch of routines that we call "scrubs" that run at the
beginning of a session. They uncorrupt data from a few bugs known to have
caused problems, do some data-integrity checks like making sure that
transactions balance and that all of the accounts referenced in splits actually
exist, and make data changes for older files needed by the current GnuCash
version. Check and repair runs those scrubs (again) plus a few more.

Regards,
John Ralls