Good to know that you made it to 4.14.

As for which version of 5.x to land on, that's up to you.

Some folks aren't keen on the changes to the auto-fill for the Description field. (I like it personally)

There were certainly kinks in 5.0 and 5.1 in that regard,

It seems they have been fixed in 5.3, but then potentially new quirks were discovered, or introduced there. (I might have found/confirmed one myself which I don't like, but it isn't a deal breaker for me, just an inconvenience.)

If you really are hesitant, just stay on 4.14 for now and keep an eye out on this list for discussions around that and other topics that you find of interest which reference changes in the 5.x series. Then make the upgrade when ready.

The 'Accumulated Totals' preference is part of the Budget Report. Before the introduction of this feature, you could only see each period (month) in isolation, and a 'Totals' column, but that Totals column was for the entire budget. So you could see your actual spending YTD, but the variance was based on the entire year. (showing you how much you had 'left' in a budget, but not how you stood at that point in time.)

I find both Accumulated Totals, and the Totals column to be helpful when understood what they report.