John might laugh at me or be annoyed at my 'noise' but considering the details, and without even looking at the code, which is likely more noise and annoying, I had the initial suspicion that there is a loop problem and 't-e-s-t' is a problem because the 't' is repeated, causing an infinite loop, and thus lock up. Proof of that suspicion would be to test (ha!) another string where the initial character is repeated at least immediately after the offered search characters, but that mileage may vary. As I said, I haven't looked at the code, and I could be truly a fool for even thinking it.

I don't have time today, maybe tomorrow, but if the solution isn't found, I'll give it a go to test such a condition at least just for my own curiosity.