On 8/12/2023 9:02 AM, Brad Morrison wrote:
Hi Gregory/Susan/Richard/all,

I think that it is important to remember that GnuCash is an all volunteer project and not an accounting system suitable for almost any type of organization, other than a very simple one:

https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/pull/1623#issuecomment-1583966278 - "But GnuCash isn't suitable for large, or even small, enterprises and never will be. GnuCash is for tiny and simple enterprises; we often say individuals and sole proprietorships. Even having employees makes using GnuCash a dubious proposition (no payroll module), as does carrying more than a very few line items of inventory (no inventory module) or performing any sort of manufacturing (no bill of materials or cost accounting modules).

I disagree in the sense that in the days of pen and ink on paper all of those things were done before we had computers. Using gnucash you can do anything you could pen and ink on paper.

What is being said is that gnucash is not an "integrated business system" with multiple components sending feeds to each other. Components like POS, inventory, payroll, etc. are not PART of ":general ledger" (gnucash as normally used). Those other components would be storing data that isn't financial as well as what is and is sent to by "feeds".

For example, besides things like unit cost of batch an inventory system is dealing with things like shelving location, restock level, primary and secondary sources, etc. A POS system is tracking things like the ID of the sales person currently at the register. The payroll system things like emergency contact, length of service, etc.

MY druthers? I am opposed to "monolithic" systems, much preferring "modular" systems << and remember, I used to work on/design LARGE systems >> If nothing else, makes changing and testing MUCH easier since well defined boundaries and data exchange between components. So while I do not think the developers of gnucash should tackle these other components PERHAPS it would make sense to make gnucash (the general ledger component) a module that could receive "feeds". Then others could decide to tackle one or more of these other parts of "a business system". Hopefully also keeping them modular (as they might be feeding each other as well as feeding general ledger. For example, POS would feed both "general ledger" (the money part of the sale)  AND inventory  (the physical part of the sale).

Michael D Novack