Open /Applications/Utilities/Console and click Crash Reports in the sidebar. If
GnuCash is crashing there will be a detailed report there. If there's nothing,
try opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and running GnuCash from the
command line:
   /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash

to see if it prints an error on the terminal window.

Regards,
John Ralls