When I have had something like this it was often a hidden GnuCash window
that had captured focus, so clicking on anything in another window does not
work.

For instance, when retrieving quotes, I could not do anything after it
seemed to be finished, but I then discovered another window, under the main
window, telling me one of my securities could not be retrieved. It wanted me
to respond to that one before I could do anything else.

John