Hi Everyone,

On October 30, 2023 at 04:59:52 PM EDT, Michael Novack wrote:
    >Confusion? What would DOS ...have to do with SOURCE
    >CODE files? It's the compiler's job and the link editor's job
    >to turn that source code into an executable

Yes, you are right. I apologize for the confusion. For the files in question,
please see the links below. In the BOOKS system, TAS, not explained by me, is
the database program that modifies the BOOKS application. Maybe we could
consider TAS to be a database/language runtime compiler written for DOS 2.0.

On October 30, 2023 at 06:03:44 PM EDT, David Cousens wrote:
    >Thanks Bruce

You are welcome.

    >the source code is likely to be of little direct value...
Yes, other than provide one concrete, working example.

    >A payroll system would have to account for the current range
    >of payroll practices across many different jurisdictions...
    >GnuCash AFAIK does not have a functional API in C or C++ code...
    >an inventory system has to accommodate the cost management and
    >the model for inventory handling (FIFO, LIFO...

Exactly right.

    >I have not explored the Python interface enough to
    >know if it would be sufficient...

Thank you for thinking of that.

    >Large parts of both of these systems are
    >largely independent...

True.

    >If this were to be attempted one approach
    >would be standalone modules...

Good idea.

    >If the necessary interfacing code does
    >not exist it would have to be created...
    >to make these projects viable.

Right. What will we decide to do?

On Tue, Oct 31 at 6:40 AM Michael Hendry wrote:
    >I have some accounts in TAS Books which
    >I created and maintained on Windows XP

Me too. I’ve used version 1e. What about you?

    >I’ve had to maintain a copy of Windows XP Pro

Had I done that, your life would be simpler.

    >legacy files inherited from my late father

I’m sorry for his demise. I am sure you miss him. I do miss both my parents. I
hope your dad was as nice as mine.

    >I haven’t been able to find TAS.ZIP
    >in your Dropbox folders.

Michael, that's because I did not send you the links. Here they are:

BKS.EDT.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/uijxiym22r707k4cgfais/TAS.zip.txt?rlkey=qs6z1j7zrz5de2y8pjbyghppi&dl=0

BKS.EDT.zip.txt
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/qpihxsi392bk47wi86hsb/TAS.zip?rlkey=n60xy601m9r2yvxshi20h9l2m&dl=0

TAS.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/kg3yw34naznmk9myvbhuk/BKS.EDT.zip.txt?rlkey=2q9zbkg9ko8g16euzgm6you6y&dl=0

TAS.zip.txt
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/e8ohz1g2qnfa55qq4e0i7/BKS.EDT.zip?rlkey=68tlmfi88day9ph7bshncfnes&dl=0

Anyone with this link: can edit

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/gdrodliyh9up81mv1r0yx/h?rlkey=512xq60pa5dn9bplnmitjtuej&dl=0

TAS.zip is the program generator that will display the source code. Run TAS.exe
in DOS. Let it operate on each of the .EDT files. It will output the source
code in a text file in a more easily readable format than the .EDT files.

On October 31, 2023 at 02:29:24 PM EDT, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
    >I'm of a similar opinion.

Me too.

    >UI Mockups might illustrate requirements or scope...
    >but the code to accomplish that is a different beast...
    >I'd posit that if anyone wanted to work on such a module,
    >that they would and probably should, do so from scratch
    >with modern tools, languages, and UI/UX paradigms
    >from other *current* software

Exactly.

    >The lack of a payroll module isn't because
    >no one knows what it should look like or
    >how it might work.

Encouraging. Thank you for telling me that.What would you say is needed, to
develop a payroll module for GnuCash?
Best Regards,
Bruce