The Payables Aging Report will tell you the *amount* that is outstanding, and to who, and with an aging time frame, as of the date of the report.

Once you have the Payables Aging Report - you know who you owed money to as of that date and how much.

To see which bills that entails, you have to click the total amount owed to that vendor, which will then give you a Vendor Report where you can choose in Options to see the Detailed Links that show you which payments apply to which bills and which bills were covered by which payments, and thus figure out what exactly was owed and why as of a particular date. (with aging info on both reports) You may need or want to alter this reports date range as well.

You *could* just run the vendor report correctly, but running the Aging Report first quickly highlights the amounts and vendors to target for further investigation.