On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 at 20:50, Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net> wrote:

> As Derek noted, this is likely not a bug, but an issue with your pricedb
> in your main file.
>
> I too lost the plot, and forgot that those reports can target which
> price to use for such cases.
>
> Your options then are to:
>
> 1. Play with the price target option
> 2. Edit, or delete the offending price(s) in the pricedb if not needed
> elsewhere.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

I am in bed now using my mobile phone so don’t have access to GnuCash to
look at anything.

I was  unaware of the price db, and have not *knowingly* set anything up
like I see described here

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes

Maybe at some time I did mess around and set something up, and that’s what
it is using.

However, I have noticed sometimes that GnuCash does suggest a number of GBP
to enter for a  USD transaction, and it’s “guess” is not wildly out.  I
have not taken much notice of the values, but they seem to imply £1 is
worth more than a USD, but not twice as much.

I am not sure how GnuCash will ever be able to make a meaningful report
that includes any conversion from pounds to dollars, particularly when each
transaction will have a different exchange rate.

I have tried to keep things simple when USD or EUR payments are made by
bank transfer, by recording only amount in pounds received. I am not going
to itemise the bank charge, as it is not recorded in any statement. But
with PayPal the transaction fee is always recorded in the statements from
PayPal. There’s a fee even on GBP transactions.

Dave