Gyle explained how to start fresh with a new file.

Some folks also just archive a copy and keep going in the original file.

Others just 'close the books' and keep going in the original file.

Still others (I'm in this camp) just keep going in the original file.

Another consideration is to run and archive (such as with physical paper, or PDF) copies of end of year reports. (Balance Sheet, Income Statement, etc.) If you keep working in the same file, you might edit a previous year transaction (which might be fine to do) and that would of course change those reports. If it is important to you to have 'official' End of Year reports, then archiving a copy is a good practice. Some folks do this and store them with an archived copy of the book too.