> You need to get a grasp of double entry bookkeeping concepts...

I agree but I wouldn't focus on the formal meaning of Credit/Debit, even if
you understand it most people have the wrong understanding -
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2023-May/106929.html - and
following the thread into July it gets screwy and unresolved.

The Guide has a dozen transactions, and actually entering them into GnuCash
while you work through the documentation should give you enough experience,
confidence, and understanding to use the Common features of GnuCash.
Sometimes a tutorial concept is not immediately clear but becomes clearer a
little later on. Unfortunately, the tutorial does not continue through to
the Advanced (mainly business) features.

Regards