Understood that those without an accounting background often
misunderstand what debits and credits actually mean.

I don't know whether the thread you referenced reached a conclusion but
the accounting definitions of debit and credit and how they are used in
accounting is however formally logically self consistent.  The same
definitions are used world wide in accounting and GnuCash is an
accounting program and it fully implements the rules of accounting.

The developers have provided the facility to use the non formal
termsthat is consistent with the formal label  but when it gets down to
how the program works and sorting out whether a user is using the
program correctly it strictly obeys the formal definitions and rules of
accounting and has to.

There is no confusion if you know and apply the formal definitions. On
the contrary the informal labels are more open to misinterpretation
unless you apply a similar set of definitions and rules to them and
those rules tend to be far more complex and appear to be far more
arbitrary. The effort involved in becoming failiiar and applying the
formal definitions is far less than for the informal ones and it is the
core of how double entry accounting works to identify and minimise
entry errors.

The accounting definition relies on the concept of an entity whose
transactions are being accounted for and in the accounts of that
entity, the concept of an accounting period and  the accounting
equation then expresses the realtionship between the various types of
accounts in the form:

Assets = Liabilities + Equity + (Income - Expenses)

The reason that Income and Expenses are grouped with Equity is that
they are actually equity accounts recording the increases and decreases
in Equity during the current accounting period and the minus sign befor
e Expenses indicates that expenses decrease equity.

A debit increases the balance of an account of the types on the LHS of
the equal sign and a credit decreases the balance of an account of that
type on the LHS.

For accounts of a type on the RHS, a credit increases the balance of an
account and a on the RHS (unless the account type is preceded by a
minus sign in which case it is a decrease) and conversely a debit
decreases the balance of accounts of that type again with reversal
where the type is preceded by a minus sign.

The steps in interpreting a statement are:
1 Determine the entity for which the statement has been prepared and
applies to;
2 Apply the definitions/rules above to determine whether a particular
entry is a debit or a credit for the type of the account in the hands
of that entity.

A statement prepared by a bank is generally prepared from the
perspective of the bank. Similarly another business providing a
statement of your transactions with it will be prepared as those
transactions apply to the entity which is that other business.

For a bank your savings/cheque account is a Liability whereas for them
a loan or overdraft to you is an Asset whereas in your hands a savings
or cheque account is an Asset and a loan or overdarft will be a
Liability. Generally then the sense of debits and credits in a bank
statement is the reverse of what they mean in your personal accounts.
(That is of course unless the bank tries to be helpful and supplies the
statement as if you are the entity the statement applies to without
explicitly stating that).

David Cousens