From the advice below, the obvious solution seems to be to combine the two payments in the GC current account into one payment with an extra split.

I like this idea better than merging the two credit card accounts, even though it still requires manual intervention.

Thanks again for your helpful advice!

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2024 11:29:37 -0500
From: Mark at Lorimark<m...@lorimarksolutions.com>
To:gnucash-user@gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Consolidated billing of two credit cards

(not an accountant)

I think you can make your one (1) payment to the bank, and then split
the portions of that payment for each card;

account      Dr    Cr
Bank       $1000
    CC1             $400
    CC2             $600

So you're writing out one check and paying it towards the two credit
cards... does that resolve your issue?

~mark petryk
~c:469-556-5075
~w:http://www.lorimarksolutions.com