Hey guys,

I realize this isn't a direct comment on the proposed redesign...  The
current proposal is nice, but also you should have a look at how Riccardo
redid gap.  http://gap.nongnu.org

GC

On Jan 1, 2014, at 5:04 PM, Doug Simons
<doug.sim...@testplant.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'doug.sim...@testplant.com');>>
wrote:

On Dec 31, 2013, at 5:09 AM, Markus Hitter wrote:

Am 31.12.2013 02:09, schrieb Sebastian Reitenbach:

https://www.l00-bugdead-prods.de/index7.html

First, big compliments for the Dock implementation. It works flawlessly
in a mouse/trackpad driven environment.

Hovever, menus at the bottom of a web pages / windows are very unusual
(the real thing is at the bottom of the screen, which is something
different), so it took me a second visit to see it at all. Having a
standard menu in the upper region suggested there's no need to search
for navigation.

I agree that it's unexpected to have a navigation control at the bottom of
the window, so many people will miss it. I was totally impressed by the
implementation, though -- awesome job! And I agree with Sebastian's points
about making the site look modern, cool, and appealing to Mac users. So why
not move the dock to the left side? It's not the Mac OS X default, but a
lot of people move their docks to the left so it will still be very
recognizable to Mac users. And it's a common location for secondary web
navigation controls, so even though it may look slightly odd to non-Mac
visitors they should be able to use it too.

There remains the issue that it might still be slightly less obvious to
folks using touch devices. Maybe it would be possible to add titles below
the icons for those devices?

Overall, this looks to me like a vast improvement over the current site! I
think the text of the first paragraph still needs work to focus it more
tightly: drop any mention of NeXT and OpenStep, which is only a distraction
now, and make Cocoa more prominent. Maybe something like this for the first
paragraph:

GNUstep is an open-source framework modeled on Apple's Cocoa frameworks to
provide a cross-platform API to make it easy to create sophisticated modern
software. Ports of OS X software to other platforms and new software
development in Objective-C are both supported, with or without a graphical
user interface.

(And then be sure to include the obligatory trademark disclaimers in the
fine print at the bottom of the page to keep Apple's lawyers from getting
excited!)

Cheers,

Doug

Gregory Casamento