In 2017, it is well worth investing your time in understanding git and what it
is.

For one, try treating it as a patch management system. Each patch is a commit*.

Each patch is "content addressable" (named after a SHA1 hash of the patch's
contents and headers) and some have aliases (tags, branches, remote branches).
Most patches/commits have one parent, some have two or zero. If a commit is not
findable via an alias/ref, it can get garbage collected.

Remote branches (e.g. refs/remotes/origin/master a.k.a. origin/master) can
sometimes have a declared relationship with a local branch (origin/master).

Don't be too afraid to look into .git folder either, or even edit some of the
files manually. I like to undo some mistakes by editing .git/refs files
directly.

Go on from there, read some "bottoms-up" descriptions, and you'll be on your
way. Git's CLI is pretty bad, but try not to think of it as anything but a
wrapper around a syncable patch directory.

SVN frontend can be a useful hack, but long term you should not rely on it.
Having it is a useful bonus. But in 2017, don't expect you can avoid Git. And
consider that use of such a frontend leads to data loss (given that git has
more expressive relationships between commits).

* Technically, there's "objects" somehow representing files and whatnot, that
are the actual parts of commits. For my understanding, however, thinking of it
as patch files which get hashed like in a content addressable system is good
enough.