Sventlana,

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 21:00 Svetlana Tkachenko <svetl...@members.fsf.org>
wrote:

> Gregory Casamento wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 19:40 Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> are required to continue using a savannah or a gitlab officially as
> github is nonfree and can't be added to official gnustep docs.
> > We have a mirror on github now. Once we are on Savannah it will be
> bidirectional.  We can call Savannah the master if that satisfies the FSF
> political agenda.  Additionally, the whole point of the previous discussion
> was to underscore the point that we can commit from either place.
> >
> > Using Savannah is untenable due to its shortcomings as previously
> described in this thread.
>
> Apart from migration 'to git' taking 3 months and not being done
> right...

As I said, I asked and had to pester them for weeks. That's unacceptable.

Pull requests are a pain at Savannah. They have a patches section
> (https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8217) to submit proposed changes
> without creating a fork-which-takes-ages-to-manually-approve, but it
> does not allow inline comments on the diff.

Savannah is not usable.

Gregory Casamento wrote:
> > I have seen nothing from RMS saying we can't mention where we are
> mirrored in GNUstep docs.  If we did I would be shocked as this would
> restrict access to free software.
>
> A freedom-respecting way to link a user to software which is only found
> on github is by providing them with a tarball or a working git mirror.
> Such mirror, while respecting the user's freedoms, may be less
> convenient.

We've already got one (a mirror).

Gregory Casamento wrote:
> >   I would like to hear directly from him on this subject.
>
> I would be glad to have an official response from FSF about this as well
> so I will perhaps forward a link to this thread to i...@fsf.org .

First off I really don't need you or anyone else to act as a liaison for me
to RMS or the FSF.  I have met the man in person (in Brighton, UK).  I'll
ask him myself as I have done on many occasions over the last 15 years.

I have to add this... I believe it's childish to ask for permission for
every bloody little thing.  We have a working mirror already on github.
The discussion is around using github as a second master until Savannah is
up to snuff.  Period.

Gregory Casamento wrote:
> > Another option is for us to consider this a fork.  It would simplify a
> number of things for us if that were the case.
>
> It is a fork only if it is different contents than the other copy.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it's a fork if I say it's a fork.  If I
take GNUstep and put it on another server and call it Cacao even with no
changes or minimal changes, It's a fork.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/