Dear Dr William, Thanks for sharing that background with us, about the kind
of events which take place in boardrooms and academies, which lesser
mortals might not have a clue about.

Regardless of the language politics of that era (which continues now too,
probably in different formats), may I point out that the research query
came from a Portuguese scholar who has worked at Macau and Brazil, and
hence the comment "You want to remember RV Pandit. Are you honest?" might
be totally misplaced here.

As for myself, I'm curious to just know more about all who worked on Goa,
regardless of what field, approach or politics, how these have been
treated, etc. In the 1970s, I was still a schoolboy in short pants. As you
know, in the 1980s, I was still searching to find my way around Goa (and,
on a maybe not unconnected vein, recall the bike-ride we took to a Konkani
sahitya programme in Pernem on your red Bajaj M-80, or maybe M-50.)

RV Pandit was then available in print though, and he had been quite well
translated by Thomas Gay (whose name I sharply recall, but didn't find out
much else). These slender books were published by Bhagwati Prakashan,
probably Pandit's own imprint, and quite widely available in Goa in those
days.

But I agree with your wider suggestion: Goa doesn't adequately recognise
those who have worked so long in these fields, even within some of our
living memories. FN