On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Sridhar Gutam <gutam2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> In the year 2009, when we launched the Open Access Journal of Medicinal
> and Aromatic Plants (OAJMAP) <http://www.oajmap.in> from Medicinal and
> Aromatic Plants Association of India (MAPAI) <http://www.mapai.co.nr> we
> have asked a question on a OA forum on what should be the suitable CC
> license to apply for the OAJMAP.
>
> We were told and we also got convienced that we should go for CC BY ND.
> But now as we are progressing, I feel unfortable in using 'ND'.
>
> Why?? the license says -- No Derivative Works ? You may not alter,
> transform, or build upon this work.
>
> But, all the research is derived out from the existing and new things
> would be built on the existing.
>
> I would like to advice to the Editorial Board, OAJMAP and the Management
> Committee, MAPAI to go for CC-BY.
>
> Whats your suggestions pleases??
>
> Sridhar
>
> I would strongly support CC-BY. There has been a lot of discussion
recently about this and two papers by Mike Carroll and others arguing
convincingly that only CC-BY makes sense. CC-NC is impossible to define or
operate in practice and only serves to prevent useful things happening.
CC-ND prevents any normal scholarly and other re-use.

The funding agencies are all now insisting on CC-BY for "Open Access". So
by adopting that you become acceptable target for publishing their funded
work.

P.