> What  interesting advice from a Professor of Business Administration!  Volu=
> ntarily enter into a contract with a third party and then ignore its terms =
> and conditions because the third party is unlikely to do anything to enforc=
> e it.  Well, if that's the nature of what is taught there, Meiji University=
>  is one place I will not be recommending anyone to study at.
>
> The solution is clear.  DON'T ENTER INTO THAT CONTRACT IN THE FIRST PLACE! =
>  That approach is both legal and ethical, unlike Professor Adams'.

When faced with unfair contract terms, that's exactly the only thing that can
be done. Or do you feel, Charles that the contract terms offered by scholarly
publishers are fair and reasonable?

As a junior academic (and even now as a more senior one) I'm hedged in by the
more senior colleagues who have consistently, over the decades refused to
reform the system of academic promotions, tenure, etc and allowed them to be
captured by a system which prevents junior academics from retaining their
rights. I know, I've tried, and finally had to capitulate to transfer of
copyright to the pigopolist publishers because otherwise my work can't get
published in the appropriate journals (specifically I missed the opportunity
to submit work to special issues that were exactly the right place for the
work I was doing, but which I refused for a short while to submit to because
of contract terms). Meanwhile the more senior professors, and yes Charles I
am specifically looking at you in this regard since you chose tyo make this a
personal attack, have sat pretty on their tenure and promotions leaving
junior academics subject to the unfair practices of a publishing business
that's become a horrible parasite on academic communications. They \have done
this by persisting in using locus of publication as aproxy for quality of
publication, by continuing to sit on the editorial boards of journals
published by these parasites.

So, Charles, exactly how would you advise junior academics to avoid getting
either screwed out of their rights or screwed by their seniors and peers on
promotion? You're between a rock and a hard place because senior academics
have set up the system and didn't give a damn about their juniors as the
world changed around them, because they'd already achieved their security.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's law, Charles, your approach would have
condemned Rosa Parks for refusing to comply with the terms of carriage of the
bus companies in Montgomery. When a legal situation is biased, unfair and
unjust you're damned right I advise people to violate the unfair terms of a
contract. That's the way things actually change, rather than by handwringing.

I also take this advice into practice in my own personal life. For example I
was one of the people who pledged to refuse a UK ID Card if and when it
became compulsory, and contributed my money ahead of time to the legal
defence fund to help my fellow pledgers. I have always posted my own work
freely available on my webpage and now do so in The Depot, until such time as
my University has a repository I and my putative readers can use (it's there
but only with a Japanese interface).

Finally (I'm struggling to keep polite on this but hopefully managing it),
please keep your ad hominem attacks on my professional ethics, what I teach
and the University I teach at it off this list. It's unworthy of you, your
position, your university and the standard of debate which should be on this
list. Keep to the arguments and keep to the topic. Take your personal insults
elsewhere (and that's the polite version).

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and