Charles Oppenheim, supported by Law (Derek), wrote:

> I suspect they [editors] never noticed the change in wording, but that's
> their problem, not mine.
> I commend that approach.

It seems to me that what Charles Oppenheim suggests (relying upon
publishers' oversight) is not really, at least on moral grounds,
different from what he condemned (ignoring somewhat confusing, and
arguably abusive conditions).

My guess is that if that approach became prevalent, publishers would
indeed start scrutinizing copyright agreements received from authors,
in the same way Elsevier changed its copyright policy in the wake of
the recent increase in the number of mandates.

Personally, I am particularly outraged by Elsevier’s last move. I
consider that it breaks a fragile common understanding which had made
acceptable to authors the total transfer of copyright required by
editors. Editors’ tolerance (or oversight), then explicit recognition
of the need (or wish) of these give-away authors to make their works
more available, were seen as a form of compensation, analogous to
financial retribution (royalties) in non-academic publishing.

But what remains of this common understanding when an editor uses the
rights it has acquired for free, from an author who is paid by an
university, to oppose a decision made by the same university,
especially if this decision is not made in the university’s own
immediate interests, but rather for the common good?

This I call abusive, on moral as well as legal grounds. And I think it
should be the burden of the editor which writes the entirety (and
modifies unilaterally) its copyright contract to have a court
establish its validity. For my part, I would simply ignore these
questionable clauses, and consider hiring a lawyer only if I decide to
keep an article in my university’s repository after the editor writes
me that, according to him, keeping it there violates that contract.

Marc Couture