From: CHARLES OPPENHEIM
To: american-scientist-open-access-fo...@listserver.sigmaxi.org
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: Rights Reductio Ad Absurdum

I apologise to Professor Adams if he felt insulted by my comments.
 I have never had a problem over the past three decades with publishers
when refusing to assign copyright to them  - dating from when I was a
"mere" junior lecturer. I do agree though that it is often difficult for
junior members of staff in an academic institution to push publishers
hard.  That is why should be a condition of employment that employees do
NOT assign copyright to publishers for journal articles.  The employee can
then say to the publisher "I'm really sorry, but my contract of employment
does not allow me to assign copyright to you." All publishers I know of
accept such statements.

Also, if these contracts really are unfair, then why isn't Professor Adams
recommending action in a Court to have them deemed invalid in law?  There
is enough legislation, certainly in the EU, on unfair contractual terms to
allow for such a case to be made.  That's a far more sensible approach
than recommending people to sign a contract and then to breach it.

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim