> I would put it differently. The taxpayers should be allowed access, but most
> of them would not be interested.
> But with toll access, taxpayers actually pay for the research twice. Once
> when it is done, and once again when
> other researchers, funded by them as well, read it. So:
>
> Taxpayers paid for the research. They should not pay twice.

Are tax-payers paying twice when universities pay to buy for their users books
based on tax-payer funded scholarly and scientific research?

If not, then tax-payers are not "paying twice" when universities pay to buy
journal subscriptions for their users either.

(Whereas if so, then Open Access is up against a far, far bigger obstacle than
journal subscription access barriers: They are up against the entire book
industry, including both its publishers and its authors. And US research funder
mandates cannot and will not change that.)

Please let's stick to the fair, real, realistic and unassailable rationale for
mandating open access:

Research is funded (by the tax payer) and conducted and published (by the
researcher) so that its findings can be accessed, used and built upon by its
primary intended users (researchers) for the benefit of the tax-payer and
research progress.

A condition of being funded for research with tax-payer money should be that it
is mandatory to make the research journal articles reporting the research
accessible to all of its intended users, regardless of whether their
institutions can afford subscription access.

No need for any double-talk about double-payment. It doesn't help. It just
invites misunderstanding and criticism of what, when properly put, is a fair,
real, realistic and unassailable rationale for mandating open access.

Stevan Harnad