A look at ROARMAP would show that, for institutional OA policies, the problem
is not an unfulfilled wish for stronger policies. Stevan has worked tirelessly
to promote and compile these polices, constantly appealing for policies to
require not just encourage open access, and showcasing those that do.

The question at heart here can be summed up with CC-BY, and this imposes cost.
Apart from some small OA journal funds, institutions are not going to be able
to cover the additional costs of CC-BY. It may be different for funders. We
have the proposed RCUK OA policy that will require CC-BY, and in making that
decision they will be considering the cost implications.

Now see the deliberations of the Finch committee, which is considering the same
question but in the knowledge there will be no additional money to fund such a
switch. There you will see clearly the difficulties of the position.

I think we can agree that CC-BY should be required for gold OA journals. The
problems, however, are:

1 Hybrid journals - think the cost of that through; it looks like a deal breaker
2 Losing some green open access - and no, that is not 'useless' OA, it is
precious OA, we don't have enough of it and we should not be throwing it away
in pursuit of 'better' OA now.

There are not many justifiable reasons for publishers to retreat from current
green OA positions, but enforcing CC-BY on them may be one.

Those arguing for the ability to text mine papers do not have an exclusive
wish, we all want to get there. But invoking a 10 year old definition as the
case for the prosecution in the absence of practical OA development and gains
since does not help.

BOAI was more a strategy than a definition, based on two routes to OA, green
and gold. It looks like we are placing definition above strategy in order to
railroad gold over green.

Any new case has to be based on strategy, and show clearly what we can expect
as a result - more or less open access (of the sort people can read for
themselves)?

Steve Hitchcock
WAIS Group, Building 32
School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh...@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevehit
Connotea: http://www.connotea.org/user/stevehit
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 9379    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 9379