On 2012-05-11, at 6:47 PM, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

      Alicia Wise already knows my reply - she has had enough email from
      me. The publishers should withdraw contractual restrictions on
      content-mining. That's all they need to do.

      If Alicia Wise can say "yes" to me unreservedly, I'll be happy.

So let's all forget about OA...

(If I were a subscription publisher, eager to sustain my income streams, I would
certainly be more than happy  to accommodate this "low bar" in order to put
paid
to the clamour for OA. It would even help draw users to my paid content, the way
Google's book content-mining does!)

Human cognition is endlessly puzzling. I'm good on OA but hopeless on human
cognition (even though that's my research specialty, not OA!). Social historians
will do a better job making sense of it all (but only after the present
generation is gone and the web generation has become the senior one).

For my part I will continue my narrow focus on the goal of getting OA (sic)
universally provided. It had been my (foolish) fancy that that was GOAL's goal
too!

Back to discussing defamation...

Stevan Harnad

PS For the terminologically tipsy: Unrestricted article content-mining, like
Google's book content-mining, would allow the extraction and republication of
"factual data" from journal articles by licensees, but it would not provide
unlicensed users with access to the full-text. (Asking for that too would not
just be raising the bar, but asking to take over the whole store.)