From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf Of
Reckling, Falk, Dr.
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:53 AM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Hat Tip: Let's not leave Humanities behind in the dash for
open access

I think there is still a misunderstanding with Gold OA. Running a OA journal
does not necesserily mean to charges article fees!

Take Economics as an example: meanwhile there are some good OA journals, most
of them are new but with very prominent advisory boards (which is a good
predictor of being successful in the long run)

a) E-conomics (institutional funding):
http://www.economics-ejournal.org/

b) Theoretical Economics (society based funding): http://econtheory.org/

c) 5x IZA journals published with SpringerOpen (institutional funding):
http://journals.iza.org/

d) Journal of Economic Perspective (a former subscription journal but now
society based funding):
http://www.aeaweb.org/jep/index.php

All of them are without APCs, and that model also works in many other fields.

What is needed is a very good editorial board and a basic funding by an
institution/society, or by a consortium of institutions or by a charity or ...

Or why not considering a megajournal in the Humanities and apply a clever
business model as PEERJ tries it right now in the Life Science?:
http://peerj.com/

In the end, it is up to the community to develop models which fit their needs

Best Falk