On 2012-07-26, at 8:16 AM, Beall, Jeffrey wrote:

> I make the distinction between gold open-access and platinum open-access.
>
>       Author fees + free to reader = gold open access
>       No author fees + free to reader = platinum open access

OA comes in two degrees:

Gratis OA is free online access.

Libre OA is free online access plus various re-use rights

OA can be provided via Gold OA publishing or via Green OA
self-archiving.

Gold OA publishing is defined as free to the reader.

Some Gold OA journals charge and author fee, some don't.

Some are pure Gold OA, some are hybrid.

We don't need a new color for every variant.

Stevan Harnad

And OA comes in two degrees: