A Platinum OA journal is, to my mind, an OA journal which is completely
BOAI-compliant (CC:BY, content mining, e.g.) but where the cost of the journal
is not covered by APCs but by other sources like research institution, academic
societies, funders e.g.  But that is not Green OA!

The problem with that distinction is that models seem to arise which are
between Gold and Platinum: partly covered by institutional funding and partly
covered by some financial contribution from the authors (submission fees, OA
subscriptions, e.g.)

However, in the end, it is mostly tax payers money, either directly transfered
by the institution (university, funder) to the journal or tranfered by the the
institution (university, funder) to the authors and then to the journal ...

Best, Falk

Falk Reckling, PhD
Social Science and Humanities / Strategic Analysis / Open Access
Head of Units
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
Sensengasse 1
A-1090 Vienna