A number of us feel strongly that fee-free BOAI-compliant scholarly
publishing is possible and have started a discussion on the OKFN
open-access list http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/open-access.
Initial mail from Jonathan Gray:

>>Hi all,

>>I'm forwarding a very interesting recent thread about fee-free
scholarly publishing started by Peter Murray-Rust with
Laurent [Romary] from INRIA [1], Richard Poynder, Peter Suber, Jenny Molloy,
Tom Olijhoek, Ross Mounce and several other OKFN folks.

>>Peter Murray-Rust's original email to Laurent is at the bottom, as
well as some of the subsequent correspondence with  Laurent,
Richard Poynder and Peter Suber.

>>Basically the discussion is about how we can better document and
support 'fee-free' open access journals - which might include case
studies, a possible 'fee-free' OA handbook, publicity and community
building activities, and building a better 'best practises network'
with people and organisations who have done it.

>>We all agreed that -[...] it would make [...] sense to open this
discussion up to others on this list.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics