Stevan,

While I share your concern that the primary focus needs to be on enhancing open
access to scholarly research--and that it can be easy to let bells-and-whistles
distract us from that core mission--I frankly don't trust Google Scholar to
"solve" all our access-and-discovery issues and believe that work on
cross-repository discovery tools is actually an important piece of ensuring
that OA has the largest possible impact on society.

Given my own experiences working with the folks at Google to ensure our
repository was "properly" indexed in Google Scholar, I can tell you that, while
it has had massive benefits for us in terms of increased traffic, it has also
exposed limitations and blind spots in Google's policies.  If anything, Google
Scholar's indexing is more opaque than their WWW indexing, particular their
inclusion/exclusion requirements, but also their relative weighting of OA
versions of content as opposed to subscriber-only and/or PPV versions.

As just a small example, our repository, which hosts only research outputs, has
over 8,000 items in it, yet even after months of back-and-forth with the team
at Google they still only index some 4,700 of those in Google Scholar.  Why?
Because they purposefully exclude datasets, video of conference presentations
(though they're happy to take the "proceedings" versions), and so on.

Moreover, why, once a user comes to our site from Google Scholar, should they
not be presented with the option of seeing OA content from outside Columbia?
If your concern is "empty" repositories, then why shouldn't we seek to leverage
the work (and success) of others and, at the same time, provide better access
to OA scholarship to the broader community?  Cross-discovery could enrich small
collections and provide additional, local incentives to OA for scholars at
campuses where there is not the same groundswell of support for OA.

Further, as initiatives like ORCID (Open Researcher and Contributor ID) begin
to get off the ground, there are opportunities for repositories to play a key
role in ensuring that these consortial efforts help us to further the goals of
the OA movement by enhancing the accessibility of OA content and not just that
of commercial publishers and content providers.  As the transformation of the
PIRUS (Publisher and Institutional Repository Usage Statistics) Project into
IRUS demonstrates, publishers and other commercial content providers continue
to (by-and-large) be driven by bottom-line considerations (the PIRUS2 report
makes this very clear).  Therefore, it is in the interests of the OA movement
as a whole to ensure a robust--and open--ecosystem of discovery paths exist for
OA content.

Sincerely,

Rob

------------------------------
Robert Hilliker, PhD, MLIS
Digital Repository Manager
Center for Digital Research and Scholarship
Columbia University
201 Lehman Library
International Affairs Building
420 West 118th Street