From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf Of
Stevan Harnad
Sent: donderdag 3 januari 2013 2:09
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Cc: SPARC Open Access Forum; scholc...@ala.org T.F.; LibLicense-L Discussion
Forum
Subject: [GOAL] Re: New Year's challenge for repository developers and
managers: awesome cross-search

CHEER-LEADING, CHALLENGES AND REALITY

What is missing and needed is not "awesome repositories cross-search tools."

What is missing and needed is OA repository deposits, and OA deposit mandates.

The repositories are mostly empty.

And Google Scholar finds what OA content there is -- wherever it is on the web
-- incomparably better than "awesome repositories cross-search tools."

Here is just a sample vanity search on a relatively uncommon name (try your
own):

Awesome repositories cross-search tool: Harnad 140
hits<http://network.bepress.com/explore/?q=Harnad>
Google Scholar: Harnad 15,900
hits<http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=Harnad&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5>
(author:Harnad: