On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Heather Morrison <heath...@eln.bc.ca>wrote:

> On 28-Jan-13, at 8:24 PM, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>

> Comment: I know how much you appreciate quantitative evidence, PMR, so
> here are some quick figures that suggest that scientists do very much
> want NC:

These are not scientific observations - at best anecdotal.

> Nature's Scientific Reports provides an interesting case study. This
> journal is similar to PLoS ONE - except that they give authors their
> choice of CC licenses. I just checked the 8 journals on the front page
> of scientific reports, and here are the CC license choices of the
> scientists themselves:
>
> CC-BY-NC-ND: 6/8 or 75%
> CC-BY: 1/8 or 12.5%
> CC-BY-SA: 1/8 or 12.5%

My understanding is that Nature charges more for CC-BY than CC-NC, in which
case I hypothesize that price is the determining factor.

A larger study would be useful - anyone interested? This is one of the
> advantages of the leaving the choice in the hands of the author.
>
> A quick glance at the DOAJ General Science list shows that about 20 of
> the 143 journals on this list use the NC element. This compares with
> about 19 journals on the same list using CC-BY.

There is no evidence that this policy is set by scientists. I strongly
suspect this is done at non-academic editorial level.  I suspect that it is
due to simplistic decision-making in the office. In several cases where I
have pubklicly challenged editors on this they have changed their policy
from NC to BY

> This means that scholars on editorial boards who are making decisions
> about gold open access publishing in the area of science are looking
> at the CC options and deciding that it makes sense to use
> noncommercial. Note that the majority in this sub-list still are not
> using CC licenses at all.
>
> The lack of knowledge in journals about licences is almost certainly an
important factor.

>> To summarize: there is evidence that given a choice, scientists tend

> to prefer CC licenses including the noncommercial element.

There is no evidence to support this claim. This can only be established by
a proper controlled study not assumptions from anecdotes.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics