Hi
Yes, you are correct. Joint authors share copyright ownership (unless
it is ceded to the journal) (and unless one author was specifically
responsible for a discrete part of the article - which is unusual),
and therefore joint rights.

This means that if the journal (or the funding mandate) grants
permission to post an article within a repository then it can be
posted in the repository of each author's institution - which leads to
multiple points of access. This is generally a good thing, unless
there are subsequent corrections which may not be made/noted in all
repositories - if each author takes the opportunity to post then there
is a collective responsibility to maintain version synchronisation.

(A personal experience: I found an "early version" of an article I
co-authored several years ago in an Australian repository. I had lost
contact with my co-author who had moved on from the Australian
university. I was not happy to see the early version (it contained
errors that had been corrected in the version of record), but it was
very difficult to get the university to  update it - after all, they
did not know who I was.)

The only time this ability to multi-post articles will be prevented is
if there is a specific restriction. For instance (hypothetically) a
journal may allow posting in Pubmed Central, but not in individual
repositories. I don't know of any such example, but it is possible.
Pippa

*****
Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
3 Park Lane, Appleton, Oxon OX13 5JT, UK
Tel: +44 7775 627688 or +44 1865 864255
email: pippa.sm...@gmail.com
Web: www.pspconsulting.org
****
Editor of the ALPSP-Alert, Reviews editor of Learned Publishing
****