Hi all,

    In US law, a work is jointly authored only if each author contributed
copyrightable expression that was intended to be merged into a single work and
that the authors intended to be joint authors.  In many other cases, you may
have two independent authors - one of the text and another of a figure, for
example.

   If a work really is jointly authored, either author can grant permission or
non-exclusive licenses over the objection of the co-author so long as the
granting author shares any licensing revenue equally with the co-author.  If it
is an exclusive license - such as in a publication agreement - then the
co-authors have to agree.

Wish this weren't so complicated, but that's copyright.  I explain the issues
around authorship of scholarly articles in more detail in the early parts of
this white paper.  http://www.arl.org/sparc/advocacy/nih/copyright.shtml

Best,

Mike

Michael W. Carroll

Professor of Law and Director,

Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property

American University, Washington College of Law

4801 Massachusetts Ave., N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20016

(202) 274-4047 (voice)

(202) 730-4756 (fax)