Am 24.02.13 09:59, schrieb Peter Murray-Rust:
> For the record I strongly advocate publishing science in
> domain-specific repositories. They already provide search interfaces
> which are heavily used unlike the 2000+ Institutional repositories
> where no scientist uses them as the first place to look. In some
> cases Google may have indexed some entries but it is patchy and
> unsystematic and has no non-textual search (e.g. sequences, chemical
> structures). In contrast the domain repositories are developing
> unified standardised search indexes. Until there is a single point
> search for repository content, perhaps on a country-wide basis, they
> won't get searched.
I second that. An indirect "proof" that this strategy actually serves
research more thoroughly lies in the fact that publisher do /not/
allow this in their standard green exceptions (by allowing deposit
only to personal webpages and institutional repositories).

I slightly disagree in that "country-wide" repositories would still
force scientist to search in dozens of them (if not hundreds, to be
exhaustive).

Hans Pfeiffenberger