From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf
Of Andrew A. Adams
Sent: 25 February 2013 08:18
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: US Presidential Open Access Directive: 3 Cheers and 8
Suggestions

Arthur Sale wrote:
> Hey, let's be realistic.  For most purposes text plus pictures is
adequate.
> Add videos if you must. Your average repository can cope with all
> that, integrated into a pdf. We've probably got 95% coverage. One
> cannot easily search pictures or video, but must rely on metadata and
surrounding clues.
> Most repositories can accept any file format but they are disconnected
> from the object of choice, and are not displayed or searchable.
>
> In some fields, like protein geometry, DNA sequences, crystallography,
> architecture and even computer science that is inadequate. In these
> cases a repository that has the ability to display and search formats
> that no-one else can is invaluable to the researchers, especially if
> they can index them by structure. So what we are talking about are
> objects that are NOT reducible to readable paper. Focus on that. If
> you want to search crystallographic structure, Google is not only
> hopeless but useless. As long as they exist, subject repositories have
> a place (a large place). I am not writing that institutional
> repositories are not good, but they are not the answer to the world's
> problems yet. Keep using them, but recognise that there is a significant
scope for specialized repositories.

My focus is on the papers. The text and images published in the peer
reviewed journal literature. For that, but the whole of that (all subjects,
all papers), I contend that institutional repositories, with deposit of the
paper mandated by the institution and funders, is the quickest and simplest
route to universal gratis OA. If we receive that before I  clock out I can
assure you that I will be involved in the push for expanding that openness,
but I have yet to see a mechanism that scales to all fields better than
institutional and funder mandates for IR-deposit (plus whatever data deposit
individual discplines mandate, with simple cross-deposit of papers where
feasible).

For specific fields there are areas of highly structured data that could and
should be put into disciplinary archives, and linked across to papers that
use/refer to that data. These archives are best centrally-run by a
non-profit scholarly body. Papers that reference data in that can easily be
deposited locally and then the central data repository can either have the
paper pushed to it or pull the meta-data and link back to the IR for the
full-text (with access button request if needed by publisher embargoes).

I do not disagree on this. However, the push for central discipline-specific
repositories being the mandated locus of deposit for papers does not scale
to all disciplines because not all disciplines have a need of a data
repository, not all disciplines have a cohesive enough body to run one and
many disciplines have very fuzzy edges.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and