Thank you for checking this.

However, numbers do not tell the whole story. Elsevier, Thomson-Reuters,
Springer, etc... behave strategically. Like good military leaders, they
constantly try and test to see what sticks and works. For the moment,
Pure's presence is small, but the parent company learns through this
limited presence, and it obviously studies ways to make it more
appealing to the repository community.

This reminds me of ScholarOne as deployed by Thomson-Reuters.
Scielo-Brazil had trouble marking its articles in a suitable XML format,
and did it largely by hand. When Scielo did all it could to be included
in the Web of Science, they were also "offered" the use of Scholar One.
Now their work flow is dependent upon this software tool to such an
extent that moving out of Scholar One will be very costly.

This reminds me also of the recent report by the NSF which, for the
first time, relies on Scopus rather than the Web of Science. Elsevier is
getting closer to the the old dream first entertained by Robert Maxwell
when he tried to coax the Science Citation Index out of Eugene
Garfield's hands, so as to be both judge and party in the evaluation of
journals. Reading how they gloat about this is also instructive:
https://www.elsevier.com/connect/tracking-progress-in-us-science-and-engineering
 .

We, in the OA community, have been rather naive about the ways in which
power works and how it it is wielded. We had better wise up, and fast.

But thank you again, Jessica, for doing the checking.

--
Jean-Claude Guédon

Professeur titulaire
Littérature comparée